WORLD IGBO CONGRESS
HOUSTON, TEXAS. U.S.A
MEMBERSHIP AND MOBILIZATION COMMITTEE
(Membership Application Form Attached)
WORLD IGBO CONGRESS AFFILIATES
- IGBO PROGRESSIVE UNION, ATLANTA, GEORGIA
- IGBO PEOPLES’ CONGRESS, AUSTIN, TEXAS
- UMUNNA ASSOCIATION, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
- IGBO COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA, DALLAS, TEXAS
- IGBO ORGANIZATION OF GREATER MIAMI VALLEY OF DAYTON, OHIO
- IGBO CULTURAL ASSOCIATION OF MICHIGAN
- IGBO PEOPLES’ CONGRESS, HOUSTON, TEXAS
- IGBO PEOPLES’ CONGRESS, KANSAS CITY
- IGBO ASSOCIATION OF SOUTH FLORIDA, MIAMI, FLORIDA
- IGBO ASSOCIATION, NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE
- IGBO USA, NEW JERSEY
- IGBO BU IGBO, NEW JERSEY
- NDIGBO DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION, NEW ORLEANS
- IGBO ASSOCIATION OF NORTH LOUISIANA, MONROE
- IGBO ORGANIZATION OF NEW YORK
- IGBO ASSOCIATION OF TAMPA BAY, FLORIDA
- NNEJI NDI-IGBO OF GREATER CINCINATI, OHIO
- IGWEBUIKE OF WORCESTER INC
WORLD IGBO CONGRESS (WIC): WHO WE ARE
WIC is a Non-Profit and Non-Political organization of affiliates Igbo Community Associations worldwide which unify Ndi-Igbo, promote and advance charitable, educational, scientific and economic development in Ala Igbo (Igbo Land) and Nigeria.
PURPOSE OF WIC:
The purposes for which WIC is organized are charitable, educational, scientific and specifically as follows:
- To unify Ndi-Igbo everywhere.
- To promote, protect and advance Igbo culture and civilization.
- To promote progress and development of Ala-Igbo.
- To promote and cultivate political awareness and civic responsibility among Ndi-Igbo.
- To promote the advancement and welfare of Ndi-Igbo.
- To promote harmony and peaceful co-existence with other ethnic groups.
- To receive, invest and disburse funds, and hold property, for the purpose of the corporation aforesaid.
- To conduct other activities, not in contravention of the Texas Non-Profit Corporation or Article Six of the Articles of Incorporation, necessary or appropriate to carry out the foregoing purpose.
WHY JOIN WORLD IGBO CONGRESS (WIC)?
It’s a wonderful opportunity to affiliate with other Igbo Associations around the world who are dedicated to giving back to their local communities and help to make a difference in “Ala- Igbo” (Igbo Land). Furthermore, our experience in Nigeria is such that it has become imperative that we should all work in tandem with all lovers of the Igbo brand at home and abroad to restore the dignity of the Igbo.
Each of us has special abilities and interests. WIC gives us the opportunity to unite in service and sharing those gifts to make Ala- Igbo, Nigeria and the world a better place to live. To state it simply, “United We Stand, Divided We Fall” (IGWEBUIKE). WIC is for those who want to make a difference helping Ndi-Igbo. We therefore call on all nwafo Igbo to “be the change you want to see in ala Igbo”
Our eighteen (18) affiliate Igbo Organizations network together without ties to race, color, creed or national origin to accomplish our goals of social, educational, and economic revitalization of Ala-Igbo. After a little setback of the last few years, we are set for a phenomenal growth. We expect you and your organization to join right away. We are in dire straits at home.
MEMBERSHIP IN WIC:
WIC membership shall be open to all Igbo persons through membership in local Igbo Community Organizations that brings together persons and group of persons who are Igbo by birth, marriage, naturalization or adoption, within a metropolis or geographic area.
CLASSES OF MEMBERSHIP:
WIC classes of Membership shall include:
- Organizational (Igbo Community Organizations and Affiliates)
- Honorary (Individuals); and
- Corporation (Non-community Groups and Organizations)
Consistent with WIC goal to promote the coming together of Ndi-Igbo everywhere, membership in the Congress shall be limited to one Igbo Community Organization for each major city or metropolitan area, providing such organization is inclusive and representative of the Igbo Community in the area. The Congress shall not encourage the proliferation of Igbo Organizations within individual localities and shall not encourage, recognize or grant new membership to an Igbo Community Organization that is within a 50-mile radius of an existing affiliate of the Congress.
WIC does not discriminate on the bases of race, color, creed, alienage, sex or national origin.
COST OF MEMBERSHIP:
Depending on the class of membership, there is an application fee (non-refundable), one-time registration fee and annual dues set by the Board of Directors.
Voluntary donations above that amount are encourage. Charitable subscription, grants and contributions from WIC member Affiliates are WIC’s sources of funding the Organization’s numerous Igbocentric projects and Community based initiatives.
WIC’s Affiliate Igbo Community Organizations are encouraged to support the following Charitable Organizations:
- Networking among other Affiliate Igbo Community Organizations in the pursuit of overall interest of the Igbo
- Educational Scholarships
- WIC Regional Medical Center of Excellence on-going and being cited in Ogbaku, Imo State
- Social and Economic Development of Ala Igbo
- Oji River Project for Disabled Biafran War Veterans
- Biafran War Memorial Park
- Disaster Relief for WIC Affiliate Organizations (e.g., Hurricane Katrina)
- WIC Membership Identity Cards
- Support of Ohaneze and Other Igbo Organization in Nigeria
- Has become the Premier Igbo Pressure/Advocacy Group on such myriad of issues facing Igbos as Nigerian Presidency of Igbo extraction, Prosecution of Apo 6 Murderers, Third Term Initiative/Tenure Elongation Scheme, South East Development Agency, Unconditional Release of Chief Ralph Uwazurike and his fellow MASSOB members, Condemnation of Mayhem and Lawlessness and Unconstitutional impeachment of Gov. Peter Obi in Anambra State, Unconditional Release of Nnamdi Kanu of IPOB etc.
- WIC Annual Conventions to Dialogue with Igbo Leaders from Nigeria and Diaspora
- Hiring of an Executive Director
- Establishing a WIC Office (donated by Chief Theo Egbujor, Ezeudo of Nashville, TN) operated by Executive Director and part-time Administrative Assistant.
- Re-establishing the World Igbo Congress Foundation –www.wicfoundationinc.org
- Joint Ventureship with other Nigerian Ethnic Community Organizations (Zumunta and Egbe Omo Yoruba) in the Diaspora to address such issues of common interest to the Nigerian Diaspora Community as Diaspora Franchise/Absentee Ballot, Security Concerns in Nigeria, Balancing the Importance of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Due Process Rights of Nigerian Citizens, etc.