WORLD IGBO CONGRESS
STANDING COMMITTEE RESPONSIBILITIES
Legal Affairs Committee: (LAC): Pursuant of Section 12.3.7 of the Rationalized Constitution of 2005
The Legal Affairs Committee supports WIC BOD/HOD in achieving its strategic direction priorities in the areas of service to Diaspora Igbo. The Committee assists the Board of Directors and House of Delegates in its oversight of the effectiveness of its strategic plan. The committee is open to and comprises the very best of attorneys of Igbo extraction in the Diaspora. It will work with the legal adviser and is mandated to provide legal advice to the board. The committee will meet regularly to discuss litigation, and procedural legal issues affecting the Igbo nation within and beyond the Nigerian polity The Committee generally reviews and recommends decision items to the Board for approval,
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES (In consultation with the BOD)
1. Liaise with the Ikemba Unit in aggressive pursuit of nascent and futuristic Igbo agenda
2. Provide advisory support, within its areas of competence, to the board and Diaspora Igbo under the auspices of WIC to pursue justice for the Igbo everywhere in the world and on all platforms including the ICC, ICJ, ECOWAS Court, the UN, the AU etc.
3. Represent WIC in dealings concerning the political situation in Nigeria in light of Igbo survival and preservation.
4. Ensures the legal implementation of the resolutions adopted by the board in its areas of competence.
5. Directs and coordinates legal and judicial cooperation with the member affiliates, collaborating organizations, international organizations, and governmental and non-governmental institutions.
6. Coordinates the activities of the board in relation to the status of the Igbo within the Nigerian structure and any future structure that might develop.
7. Establishes and maintains cooperative relations on juridical questions in its area of competence with public and private organizations, whether national or international, that have similar interests.
8. In its area of competence, maintains a training program for attorneys from the member affiliates, in the form of law internships.
9. Establishes a structure of posts that will ensure that the required outcomes are attained with the resources assigned.
10. Carries out activities to raise and mobilize external funds to finance and promote its programs, projects, and activities, in coordination with the Ikemba Unit of WIC.
Click to read about The Biafran War